Speak Truth To Power
Photographs by Eddie Adams Interviews by Kerry Kennedy Cuomo
Speak Truth to Power is an exhibition of powerful portraits of human rights defenders from around the world, taken by Eddie Adams, the renowned Pulitzer Prize–winning photojournalist and recipient of over 500 awards in photography. The exhibition began its tour in September 2000 at The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., and will travel nationally for four years. Venues include: The Boston Public Library; The Museum of Modern Art, Jacksonville, FL; The National Civil Rights Museum, Memphis, TN; and The Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego, CA, among others.
A second exhibition began traveling internationally in 2001. The exhibition examines issues of human rights around the world, from nuclear disarmament to children in war, from environmental activism to religious self-determination, from police brutality to sex-slavery. A series of contemporary prints of dramatic portraits taken on four continents as well as in the photographer`s itinerant studio form the principal content of the show. Additional context is provided by the wall panels, using quotations and text excerpts from the individuals interviewed by Kerry Kennedy. Lectures, panel discussions, the PBS video The Kennedy Center Presents: Speak Truth to Power, and other educational events (including performances of the play "Speak Truth to Power: Voices from Beyond the Dark" by Ariel Dorfman) can be coordinated to accompany the exhibition as it travels. For more information, please visit www.speaktruth.org.
• 32 gelatin-silver prints (39 x 31.5)
• 3 Iris prints (two 31.5 x 27.5 and one 31.5 x 31.5) to occupy 275 linear feet, matted in dark brown aluminum with four-ply archival board under UV plexi
• Thirty-six 11 x 14 labels two 30 x 20 text panels
• One 40 x 50 title panel
• Publication: Speak Truth to Power
• 500 six-sided printed brochures to each venue
• 64-page educational packet produced with Amnesty International
• Quotes from the interviews are available for silk screen and press type on walls
• PBS Video Documentary
The Kennedy Center Presents: Speak Truth to Power
• Rental Fee: $5,000